Monday, May 18, 2009

"Shaken, Not Stirred..."


...so goes the famous line of the dashing, Brit agent 007-- Bond, James Bond. But this post isn't about him, neither is it about red martinis. It's about living along the Pacific Ring of Fire and being shaken by a "4.7...no, a 5.0...no, a 4.7" magnitude temblor says Caltech. What do they know? Where I was it felt like a 6.9 or some big number like that. It also lasted 15 seconds which translates to "forever!"

I was in the bedroom checking emails when it happened. When it did, I was waiting for the floor lamp (above) to stop shaking. After it seemed like forever and still not stopping, I decided to run to the dining room to see the over head lighting (below) swinging away.

Despite that, I felt a little reassured finding my DH and DD, the only one who remembers what to do during an earthquake from all that drilling at school and took cover under our dining table (below). By the time my DH and I decided to join her, the ground stopped shaking.

There were a couple of aftershocks following that event, but our knees were still wobbly that we didn't feel them. All that mattered to me at that moment was my darling family and that they were okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment