It’s the walnut. This nut is said to originate from
- It lowers your cholesterol levels.
- The polyunsaturated fatty acids from walnuts are important for a healthy diet and may keep your arteries healthy and elastic decreasing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- It’s high in anti-oxidants which may lower your risk of cancer.
- It’s higher in omega-3 fatty acids compared to any other nuts so much so that it’s been claimed to be one of the “Super Foods.”
- The minerals found in walnut also benefit bone health.
- Including walnuts with fish in a diet favorably lowers the risk of heart disease.
- Reports about the walnut are so impressive that the USFDA approves a daily serving of 1.5 ounces or a handful of walnuts as part of a low saturated fat and low cholesterol diet which may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
These are some things we all can be “nuts” about. : )
http://www.riversideonline.com/health_reference/Cholesterol/CL00002.cfm (content provided by the MayoClinic.com)
California Walnuts; http://www.walnutinfo.com/health.html.
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/ajcn.2009.26736Sv1.